10 Quick and Simple Ways to Rid Your Body of Toxins
I am honored to share this guest post by Katie Wells, CNC, who is currently serving as my assistant and intern. You can learn more about Katie on her website: http://www.asimplenaturallife.com; or on her Facebook page: A Simple Natural Life. Her bio follows this article.
Please note this article contains affiliate links for which Good Works Wellness Research, LLC earns a tiny amount when readers purchase an item. Dr. Pamela is firmly committed to only providing links to products she has personally used. The small amount raised from these links is used to fund the administrative expenses of this website.
Are you tired all the time? Bloated or have digestive issues? Do you have acne or skin irritation? Can’t seem to lose any weight? If you answered yes to any of these questions then you are probably in need of a body cleanse or detox. For more information on how to tell you need to detoxify your body, please read How to Tell You Need to Detoxify.
What is Detoxification?
Detoxification is the process of removing impurities and toxins in the bloodstream and filtering them out through the liver. The body also eliminates toxins through the kidneys, skin, lungs, intestines, and the lymphatic system. Your body is constantly detoxing while maintaining all of the other functions in your body. What we need to do is eliminate the toxins we are ingesting or absorbing through the skin or lungs so we don’t overwhelm the body’s cleansing function. When this function is overwhelmed, it becomes “tired” and slows down. This is most likely the cause of the above symptoms I mentioned. For more information about how the body detoxifies itself, please read How Does the Body Detoxify Itself?
Let’s start with eliminating toxins from your daily lifestyle. You will first want to remove chemical laden foods, cleaning products and body care products from your home. Replace these with organic or all-natural alternatives. Eliminate alcohol, cigarettes, non-organic coffee and tea, refined sugar and processed foods. All of these act as toxins that inhibit your body’s ability to naturally cleanse itself.
10 Ways to Rid Your Body of Toxins
Here is a list of health tips, recipes, and lifestyle practices to help you detoxify your body:
- Eat foods with a good source of fiber, magnesium, folate, potassium, and iron. This includes organic proteins, organically-grown fresh fruits and vegetables, and brown rice or quinoa. Avocados, asparagus, beets, radishes, artichokes, cabbage, broccoli, spinach, kale, grapefruit, lemons, spirulina, chlorella, and seaweed are excellent detoxifying foods. Also, adding turmeric, garlic and coconut or olive oil to your foods while cooking will make them taste even better and they are great ways to help detox.
- Cleanse and protect the liver by taking herbs such as chicory and dandelion root, burdock, peppermint, and milk thistle.
- Eliminate toxins through perspiration. Try HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workouts. For more information about the benefits of exercise, please read Ten Surprising Benefits of Exercise.
- Detox the mind by trying low intensity and stress relieving activities. Walking, yoga, stretching, meditation, or prayer are great examples. Taking time to LAUGH every day is also very beneficial! (Laughter has many health benefits. You can learn more about them here.)
- Help eliminate bloating and digestive issues by taking a probiotic every night before you go to bed. This will help clear toxins out while you are sleeping and then you are ready to expel them in the morning after you wake.
- Juicing or making smoothies is also known to help cleanse your kidneys and liver when the right ingredients are used. Here’s an easy formula you can use to make perfect smoothies every time: Perfect Smoothie Formula.
- Drink LOTS of water! It is recommended that you drink half of your body weight in ounces of water. This will help flush the toxins out of your body. If you don’t like the taste of water or want to give detoxification an extra boost, try adding fresh fruit and vegetables to your water.
- Organic green tea is an excellent way to cleanse. Traditional Medicinals also makes great blends specifically for detoxifying the body. Check out these two options:
Traditional Medicinal Organic Everyday Detox (af)
Traditional Medicinal Organic Roasted Dandelion Root (af)
- Infrared saunas and ionic footbaths are an excellent alternative and a relaxing way to detox. You can learn more about them here:
Ultra-Ionic Foot Baths
Far Infra-Red Sessions
- Taking baths with extra ingredients can help balance pH levels and detoxify the body. You can learn to make effective detoxification baths using common ingredients at: How to Create a Detoxification Bath Using Common Ingredients.
Here is a quick recipe for an easy detoxification bath. Add the following ingredients while running a bath that is warm but not overly hot:
- 2 cups of Epsom salts (af)
- ½ cup of aluminum-free baking soda (af)
- 6-10 drops of lavender essential oil (af)
Word to the Wise
Some people may feel minor symptoms as their body begins eliminating toxins. This is perfectly normal. Symptoms may include fatigue, mild headache, a few pimples, etc. These symptoms should last no more than a few days. These symptoms indicate your body is eliminating toxins. If the symptoms become too severe, eat a banana (the natural sugar will slow down the detox) or back off the changes you are making for one to two days. To minimize any symptoms, drink plenty of water, take detox baths, allow yourself to rest, and celebrate the fact your life changes are having positive effects!
For more information about ways you can detoxify on a daily basis, please read: How to Cleanse and Detoxify on a Daily Basis.
Guest Author: Katie Wells, CNC
Katie Wells, CNC is the owner of A Simple Natural Life. After dramatically improving her own health by making changes to her lifestyle and eating habits, she received formal training a Certified Nutrition Counselor so she could help others improve their own wellness. After receiving her training, she launched her website and continued her training by working as an intern and continually reading and researching. Her dream is to help families obtain a healthier lifestyle by creating meal plans and transforming medicine cabinets with all-natural supplements and remedies. Since entering the holistic wellness field, she continues gaining knowledge to help others. You can follow Katie and learn more about her on:
Latest posts by Dr. Pamela Reilly (see all)
- Plant Collagen Builder by mykind Organics - November 30, 2016
- Whole Food Magnesium! - November 30, 2016
- Are These Garden of LIfe Probiotics Worth the Cost? - April 30, 2016