10 Unique Uses for Zucchini
It’s that time of year when people are begging their friends and family to take excess zucchini off their hands. Zucchini is far more versatile than people realize and has many more uses than the old stand-by of zucchini bread! Nutritionally, zucchini is a great source of fiber and has significant amounts of calcium, magnesium, potassium,Vitamin A, lutein, Vitamin C … and is a fair source of Omega 3 fatty acids!
So what do you do when you have zucchini coming out of your ears? Try the following ideas that are a bit off the beaten path:
1) Make zucchini slaw
2) Combine with nut meal, cooked beans & spices to make veggie burgers
3) Slice, coat with sunflower seed meal combined with spices, and saute. I’ve seen some huge zucchini this year which make great “zucchini burgers” when sliced, spiced & sauteed
4) Use to make zucchini hummus (combine with garlic, coconut oil and anything else you can imagine!)
5) Add to smoothies … zucchini “stretches” smoothies so you don’t need to add as many sugar-filled fruits
6) Shred and add to casseroles, soups, stews, etc. … your family will never know!
7) Slice and make zucchini sandwich appetizers. Fill with thick hummus, almond butter blended with cayenne powder, organic cheese slices, Greek yogurt blended with fresh herbs, etc., etc.
8) Slice and sautee in butter for a quick & easy veggie side dish
9) Slice thinly and substitute for lasagna noodles and other noodles. This may sound strange, but it works really well and effectively eliminates the carbs from high-carbohydrate pasta dishes
10) Slice bigger ones into 2-3″ logs, hollow out the center, stuff and bake using your favorite stuffed pepper recipe. Works great! Finely chop what you dug out of the center and use in casseroles as a low-calorie filler.
11) New entry added August 3, 2012: Make zucchini “fries” by cutting zucchini into long, thin strips (similar in shape to a French fry) and sprinkling with spices. I love them with straight Himalayan Sea Salt, but they are also great with Italian spices or dipped in hummus.
What’s your favorite use?
Latest posts by Dr. Pamela Reilly (see all)
- Plant Collagen Builder by mykind Organics - November 30, 2016
- Whole Food Magnesium! - November 30, 2016
- Are These Garden of LIfe Probiotics Worth the Cost? - April 30, 2016