Monthly Archives: June 2014
I am a big fan of vacations. I’m on one now, as a matter of fact. I therefore wanted to focus on articles that are fun or which focus on topics suitable for vacation. Kick back, grab a frosty beverage, and enjoy.
Eleven Ways to be a Jerk at the Gym: A fun and humorous look at various ways to make everyone else at the gym hate you.
Shining Light on the Truth About Sun Exposure: This article reveals the myths that exist about sun exposure and shares the truth.
Healing Truths I Learned on My Motorcycle: Healing and motorcycle riding have more in common than you may think. Read about the similarities here. You may even learn some valuable life skills.
Natural Sunscreen Recipe: Learn how to make your own very effective sunscreen using all-natural ingredients. By making your own, you can avoid the use of toxic ingredients and nano particles.
Break the Bondage of Negativity and Set Yourself Free: An especially pertinent article for anyone who struggles with poor or overly negative self-image issue. Shares simple strategies for viewing yourself without judgment.
How Motorcycle Riding Improves Physical Health: Believe it or not, riding a motorcycle is a form of exercise known to have powerful health benefits. This article shares facts about the benefits of motorcycle riding.
How to Live Abundantly with Diabetes: Although these trips are aimed at people with diabetes, the powerful lessons in this article can be applied to anyone in any situation.
Simple Marinara Recipe: This light, delicious recipe makes a meal to be treasured. The recipe uses ingredients which can be easily found at any farmer market or local grocery.
Perfect Smoothie Formula: Use this formula to make perfect smoothies every time. This guide can be used on vacation to request power blends for any snack or meal.
Top 11 Low-Carb Breakfasts: Use these great suggestions to ensure you eat a nutritious breakfast that is not overly high in carbohydrates.
Smoothies are a great way to pack a lot of nutrition into a small package. They are also a potential way of packing an excess of sugar and other unhealthy ingredients into a tiny serving. (Please read The Joy of Fruitless Smoothies for more information on how to create smoothies having zero glycemic impact.)
Here are my top five recommendations to keep smoothies healthy:
- Don’t add too much fruit or other sugar-packed or artificial ingredients.
- Always add at least one serving of dark leafy greens or other vegetables.
- Freeze your fruit or make ice cubes out of organic dairy or milk alternative, veggie juice or herbal tea to avoid needing to use ice cubes made out of unpurified water.
- Use filler veggies such as cucumbers or zucchini to add bulk without adding sugar, taste or calories.
- Use a liquid that provides more nutritional value than water. More information on that is shared below.
Here is my Perfect Smoothie Formula. After the formula, I share more details on unique ingredients to use for each part of the formula:
Good Works Wellness Perfect Smoothie Formula
For a perfect smoothie, combine the following:
- 1 portion of a thickener
- 1-2 portions of liquid
- 1-2 portions of dark, leafy greens or “filler” vegetables
- 1/2 portion of healthy fat
- 1 serving of protein
- Optional: 1 portion of low-glycemic impact fruit
- Optional: Other enhancements as desired
Ideas for each part of the formula follow. Please note most ingredients in the formula – other than the liquid – are optional. All ingredients referenced are organic. Some ingredients appear more than once throughout the list of options. Please only choose each ingredient once. Please also note this formula typically creates two servings.
To create your smoothie, select your desired ingredients. Add the liquid to the blender first, followed by the other ingredients, sliced and diced as needed. Blend well and serve.
1. Thickener Options
- 1/2 a banana (if there is no need to keep the smoothie low glycemic)
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 – 1 cup organic chia seeds (allow to soak 5-10 minutes before blending)
- 1/2 cup of oats
- 1/2 cup nut butter
- 1/2 cup ground psyllium seed (allow to soak for 5-10 minutes before blending)
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed (keep refrigerated to ensure the fats don’t go rancid)
- 1/2 cup organic yogurt (dairy or dairy and soy-free)
2. Liquid Options
- Aloe vera juice (use conservatively, as this can have a laxative effect)
- Coconut water
- Water or Dairy Kefir
- Kombucha (limit if Candida is an issue – read Why Kombucha and Candida Don’t Mix for more info)
- Yogurt (dairy or non-dairy)
- Green Tea or other herbal tea
- Milk alternative (almond, coconut, hemp, etc.)
- Vegetable juice
- On a wild and crazy day … coffee!
These liquid supplements may also be added in much smaller portions. Please be careful to use the recommended amount:
- Herbal extracts
- Colloidal Silver
- Bach Flower Remedies
- Trace minerals
- Any other liquid vitamin, mineral or supplement
3. Dark Leafy Green and Filler Vegetable Options
- Beet, Mustard, Collard, Turnip or other greens
- Swiss Chard
- Bok Choy
- Broccoli (chop finely)
- Peppers of any color, sweet or spicy
- Summer Squash
4. Healthy Fat Options
- 1-3 tablespoons organic extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup nut or seed butter
- 1/4-1/2 cup nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews, pistachios, etc.)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup seeds (sunflower, chia, flax, hemp, sesame, etc.)
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup Tahini
5. Protein Options
- 1 serving protein powder (I recommend avoiding a soy-based powder.)
- 1-2 organic eggs
- 1/2 cup nuts, seeds or nut/seed butter
- 1 serving spirulina
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup quinoa (cooked or raw)
- 1/2 cup sprouted beans or lentils (or cooked)
- Organic dairy kefir or yogurt
6. Low Glycemic Impact Fruit Options
Adding fruit is completely optional and is NOT a necessity. Use less than one cup if you choose to add it.
- 1/2 cup any form of berries
- 1/2 apple or pear
- 1/2 grapefruit
- 1 cup cherries (raw, not canned)
- 1 pear (raw, not canned)
- 1 orange
7. Optional Enhancements
Any of the following can be added as optional enhancements. Please follow label instructions for supplements:
- 1 serving green powder
- 1 serving bentonite clay
- 1 serving liquid B complex
- Herbal extract(s)
- Bach Flower Remedies
- Spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, turmeric, Himalayan sea salt, etc.
- Colloidal Silver
- 1/4-1/2 cup kefir grains or probiotic grains
- 1/4-1/2 cup fermented fruits or veggies