How I’m Different from Other Practitioners
The words, “Naturopathic Medicine” evoke a wide variety of different perceptions and misconceptions in people’s minds. Because of that, and because no natural practitioner is exactly the same, I thought it might be wise to share more details about my practice and about my philosophies of healing. As you read, please feel free to ask if you have any questions.
As I said, every natural practitioner is wonderfully unique. That’s part of what I love about my profession. Because we are very unique, we can each help a very different set of people. The points that follow provide information that will help distinguish me from other practitioners. Please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions!
- Not opposed to mainstream medicine: Many people incorrectly believe I am opposed to all forms of mainstream medicine and pharmaceuticals. That is not true. There are many situations where mainstream treatments are necessary. What I am opposed to are violations of the first tenet of the Hippocratic Oath: “Do no harm.” I see the results of serious damage caused by medical doctors and/or pharmaceutical medications every day in my office. THAT is what I’m opposed to. There are many situations where mainstream treatments are needed and are a huge blessing. It’s the times they are used incorrectly or in ways that harm the patient that I’m opposed to. I embrace an approach where mainstream treatments are seamlessly combined with holistic approaches. I am happy to consult with my clients’ doctors to request blood work, recommend medication alternatives, provide information on non-invasive test procedures, etc. Many of my clients bring their test results and blood work results with them to every appointment so that I can review their results in a holistic fashion, explain the potential causes of abnormal results, and explain what the results mean in a way that’s easily understood. I myself am alive due to insulin, so I recognize the need for mainstream intervention when needed. Clients in my office will never be made to feel inadequate for choosing to use pharmaceutical medications.
- Belief in the body’s ability to heal itself: I am a firm believer that the body will heal itself if given the support it requires. However, healing of extreme, chronic, long-term issues does not occur rapidly. Most chronic conditions require extreme dedication and commitment to changing lifestyle, food choices and negative thought patterns. My belief is that healing requires the removal of any toxins or issues preventing healing, and the identification of systemic weaknesses or nutritional deficiencies. If you remove the blockages that are preventing healing, your body will often heal. The “trick” is to dig deep enough to find all the issues preventing healing. I have had diabetes for almost 50 years, but still believe I can support my body so that it can heal itself. So far I’ve gone from taking 80+ units of insulin daily to needing less than 20. My pancreas has gone from not producing any insulin to producing insulin in small amounts. I’m not there … yet … but I’m on my way. The bottom line is that if you believe you cannot heal, you can’t. Reversing the emotional scars that make us cling to illness is essential for healing. My job is to help identify nutritional deficiencies, cellular damage, systemic weaknesses, toxic overloads, and negative thought patterns that are preventing the body from healing itself. I then work with you to create a plan to slowly but surely reverse those issues.
- Dedication to finding the cause instead of masking the symptoms: I was in the corporate world during a time when performing a “root cause analysis” of every business problem was the craze. These exercises were developed based on the belief that finding the cause of a problem was essential to correcting it. I apply this same approach to wellness. Instead of trying to solely minimize your symptoms, I use a variety of assessment techniques to find the CAUSE of your issues. I then work with you to create a plan to address and reverse the cause, thereby eliminating or diminishing the issue. Although I try to focus more on the cause than the symptoms, I will also recommend supplements and therapies to alleviate any symptoms which are negatively affecting your daily life and ability to function. For example, in the case of someone having daily headaches, I will recommend ways to alleviate the pain so that the client does not suffer while we perform the necessary assessments to identify what is causing the headaches.
- Compassion – I’ve been there: I can honestly give thanks that I spent ten years almost bedridden due to illness because it helps me relate to a very wide variety of symptoms and health conditions. It also provided exposure to a wide range of medical specialties and procedures. During my illness, I dealt with diabetes, hypo- and hyperthyroidism, depression, adrenal fatigue, chronic sinus problems, extreme food allergies, multiple autoimmune disorders, severe neurological disorders, cardiac abnormalities, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, debilitating anemia requiring IV therapy, malnourishment caused by malabsorption, environmental sensitivities, liver disease, poor kidney function, hormonal imbalances, GERD, hypertension, and more. I was incorrectly diagnosed with MS three times and cancer once. When a patient or client sits across from me and breaks down crying because he or she is frustrated and discouraged beyond the breaking point, I often cry with them because I’ve been there. I understand. I KNOW what it’s like to be sick and tired of being sick and tired, to do all the right things and get no results, to be too ill to function yet have “normal” test results, and to deal with doctors who refuse to listen to your insight and and imply your physical issues are all in your head. I know what that’s like because I lived it. But … I also know what it’s like to heal. Of all the issues I listed above, I now only deal with a few very minor ones. Healing happens. My goal during a consultation is to listen more than I talk, to address every single concern or symptom you have, and to provide encouragement and support. In the midst of that, my goal is to empower you with the knowledge you need to achieve wellness and the support you need to be successful in pursuing your goals. (I cover more about this in my post, Why I Do What I Do.)
- Truly holistic approach: I work with my clients to address any and all imbalances in body, mind and spirit. Wellness is not solely a physical issue, and most physical issues have a spiritual and/or emotional component. Solely addressing the physical side of an issue is similar to chopping off two legs of a three-legged stool and expecting it to stand better than it did before. True balance cannot occur unless all three legs of the stool are healthy and whole. I use a variety of non-invasive but very effective techniques to help identify and address any issues that may be impeding healing.
- Comprehensive remedies: After assessing the issues affecting you, I will work with you to create a holistic plan to address them. One of the things I believe sets me apart from others is that I work with you to create a plan instead of dictating a long list of do’s and don’ts and then sending you on your way to do them. You are responsible for helping your body to heal, I’m merely a support tool. I will meet you where you are and will not ask you to make huge changes overnight. I will not overwhelm you with changes but will create a plan that allows you to make changes at your own pace. I will also provide support and encouragement every step of the way. YOU are the only person responsible for your health. My job is to educate and empower you to make the right choices to improve your health on a daily basis. The remedies I recommend will be comprehensive and may include any (but not all) of the following: lifestyle changes, modifications to eating habits, supplements, hypnosis or EFT to address harmful habits, gentle exercise, lymphatic therapies to boost immunity and speed healing, massage, acupuncture, Jin Shin Jyutsu (a Japanese art used to bring balance to body and mind), detoxification, aromatherapy, Bach Flower Remedies, or specific protocols for health conditions that I customize to fit your needs. I NEVER use a “cookie cutter” approach. If you want an allopathic approach where the exact same supplement protocol is always used to treat specific conditions, I will not be a good fit. I will work with you to create a very customized, very personal plan. What is right for you may not be right for anyone else, and that’s ok. We are each wonderfully unique and each need a very personalized program to achieve the maximum wellness possible. I also don’t believe there is one, single dietary approach that is correct for everyone, nor do I believe extreme dietary habits are good. Again, I will work with you to develop a realistic eating plan that allows you to get the nutrition you need while providing your body with the building blocks it needs to heal itself. (For the record, I’m not raw or vegan. I support those lifestyles but typically encourage a more balanced approach.) On what may be an unrelated side note, I want to express to my Christian readers that I have no concern with the therapies I use being occult or satanic. Please ask me if you have any concerns with the origins or spiritual connections of any therapy. I’m happy to share the research I did that led me to accept the therapies.
- Education, education, education: My role is to teach and equip you to help your body heal itself. I do that by working one-on-one with you, providing hand outs and resources you can refer to after our appointment, and by always being available to answer questions. I also hold frequent classes and seminars to provide education on specific topics. If needed, I will schedule a grocery shopping consultation with you and will go grocery shopping with you to help educate you on label reading and how to make good choices while shopping. If you leave a consultation without having learned anything new or gained new insight into an issue, I’ve failed. I also assume I’ve failed if you leave without feeling encouraged and uplifted. I feel so strongly about the value of education that I travel nationwide speaking on natural health topics. I also speak locally and lead corporate wellness programs. If I can teach you enough about wellness to ensure you never need to schedule another appointment with me, I’ve succeeded. I may be in the only profession in the world whose primary goal is to put myself out of business. I’m ok with that. (Please feel free to contact me if you’d like more information on scheduling me to speak.)
- Unique assessment techniques: I use a variety of unique assessment techniques to identify and assess systemic weaknesses, nutritional deficiencies, and blockages that prevent nerve flow and physiological energy from freely circulating. In addition to reviewing blood work and test results from your MD, I use any or all of the following to identify other issues:
- Bio-Impedance Analysis (BIA) Testing: To assess metabolic function and cellular hydration
- ElectroDermal Scan (EDS): EDS measures nerve flow through acupuncture points in the body to identify systemic weaknesses, nutritional deficiencies and more. I can also use the EDS unit to assess your current supplements to determine if they are right for you or not.
- Fingernail and tongue analysis
- Saliva hormone testing (more accurate than blood tests)
- Food allergy testing
If you would like to receive additional information about scheduling a consultation in person or via Skype, please feel free to call me at 317.489.0909 or email me. Please also feel free to sign up to receive my newsletter. Thanks so much!
Latest posts by Dr. Pamela Reilly (see all)
- Plant Collagen Builder by mykind Organics - November 30, 2016
- Whole Food Magnesium! - November 30, 2016
- Are These Garden of LIfe Probiotics Worth the Cost? - April 30, 2016